My Blog List

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Safe Driving

You know that one person that knows a million random facts? I was driving home last night and thought what's stopping me from being THAT person. SOOOO I am going to record all of the random facts that I find on a blog. Maybe no one will ever read it, but who cares! At least it will be recorded somewhere other than my already cluttered scatter brained head. While driving home, a car pulled out in front of me from a side street barely making it by without me hitting it. I had my son Jude in the backseat and thought if I were going to hit it, what would be the best way in order to protect my son in the backseat? Should I slam on the breaks or would that cause me to swerve sideways putting Jude in more danger. Should I just hit allowing the airbag to go off and causing more front-end impact. I know that in an accident you usually don't have much time to think about anything. It's always good to know the right answer anyway. Like never use cruise control in the rain because if you skid CC will want to keep your car going at a constant speed. Speed adds to the problem because it will send you off in the direction you are skidding at a higher rate. CC will be disabled if you were to slam on the brakes but that's exactly what you do not want to do because it could cause you to hydroplane out of control. The best thing to do is to hold the wheel firmly and don't steer in any direction but straight ahead. Ease up on the gas and hopefully the car will slow and your driving can return to normal. http://alerts.nationalsafetycommission.com/2009/03/hazards-of-driving-in-rain-with-cruise.php
http://www.smartmotorist.com/driving-guideline/hydroplaning-aquaplaning.html
ANYWAY the best that I could find on how to handle a "collision with a car from a side street" was to hit your break and hope for the airbag to deploy. There is usually not much reaction time in a situation like that. I thought since I was talking about traffic safety here I could add in another driving tip that I didn't know. The good thing about research is that you learn a million other things while searching for your topic. Since I live in the South and there seems to be a deer on every road I thought, knowing the proper way to handle the car if I have to hit a deer, would be a good thing to know. According to the Dept of Public Safety, drivers need to avoid swerving because it could cause a collision with oncoming traffic or an object off the road such as a tree. The best thing to do is to
1. hit the deer
2. apply the brakes firmly
3. and come to a controlled stop.
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/car-driving-safety/accidents-hazardous-conditions/hit-a-deer.htm
Easier said than done but at least we know the right way!

No comments:

Post a Comment